Tuesday, September 15, 2009

The story of Jaxon's arrival

It all began on Monday September 7, 2009 very early in the morning about 2am - I started feeling some pains in my back and lower abs I checked the clock and decided I would start timing these pains to see if they were regular or if it was all in my head. The doctors had prepared me that only 3% of women had their babies on their due dates - September 7th was my due date and I really wanted to meet Jaxon. The pains were regular coming every 20 mintues - they were not terrible so I slept while I could. Jason had decided to take Labor day off of work and spend with Gabby and I. It was a rainy day, so we spent most of the day inside - I was cleaning! Jason started timing my contractions - he was too darn cute with his little notebook and watch. Freddie and Ann called before lunch they wanted to take Gabby to Wal-Mart (we were planning on Gabby staying with them when I went into Labor).
Jason I continued to count the contractions and they were getting closer. I called my mom to find out how long I should wait until I went to the hospital (I did not want to be sent home) she said to wait until they were like 7 or 8 minutes apart. Around 5 pm the contractions were 7 minutes apart - so I called the hospital and a friend of mine Valeene Woodley was working labor and delivery and she said I could wait until the contractions were 5 mintues apart. I started getting everything ready - took a shower - fixed my hair and even put make up on (I wanted to be a good looking momma).
At 7pm Jason and I headed to Edenton - the pains were getting much stronger - but I still felt OK. We checked into the hospital (we had called all 4 sets of parents to tell them we were heading to the hospital) - my dad and Julie made it to the hospital before we did - they were already in Edenton. The nurse Andrea met us in the lobby and took us upstairs and hooked me up to some monitors - they could see that I was having some contractions so then they checked me and I was only dialated 1 1/2 cm and 50% thinned (which was the same thing I was on Thursday at the doctor). So they told me that they it would be better if I went on home (which was OK with me at this time because the bed and room I was in was so not comfortable).
Jason decided that we would not come all the way back to Columbia but instead we would get a hotel room in Edenton. We checked into the Hampton Inn and that is when the pains increased to unexplainable. I tried to lay down in the bed, but that was too painful - the only place I could get that was comfortable was in the shower - I stood in the shower for hours at the time - (I took a handtowel and used it as a pillow as I stood). Jason and I had decided to not take the lamaze classes so I had no idea how to breath through contractions - the only thing I knew was how they did it on TV with the crazy (who who who who heeeeeeeee) so I tried that and about passed out from over breathing. When the contractions would come I could not walk or talk. I knew that the nurses changed shifts at 7 and Valeene would be back - I tried to wait but by 6am I could not wait another minute.
We made it to the hospital and I checked back in at 6:15 am - they brought me a wheelchair this time. Andrea came back and took us to our room - her comment was "Oh, Miss America dont look like Miss America anymore" - the hair do and make up was long gone after so many hours in the shower. When they checked me this time I had dialted to 2 cm and was thinned to 75% they decided to keep me since I was in so much pain. I can not remember the times really well but I do know that they gave me some stateall (pain medicine) and started an IV for fluids - I was still feeling the contractions but I was able to rest inbetween. Sometime around 11am they gave me the epideryl (sp) and that was great for about 4 hours. I slept and according to mom and Jason did some pretty crazy things (threw the hospital phone across the room - because it would not get off my hand- I so do not remember this).
After 4 hours with the epideryl I started feeling contractions again - mom could see the monitor that I was hooked up to and when I would feel something she would confirm - yes you are feeling it. They tried to put more medicine in the epideryl but it did not work - so from 3 pm until about 9:00 I was experience EXTREME pain with nothing for pain relief. I did learn how to breath - in through the nose and out through the mouth - it gave me something to consentrate on. Dr. Boehling came to check me a few times throughout the day and he said that I had dialated to 7cm and we should have a baby within 3 hours (this is around 4pm) - we made the phone call to all of the parents and the waiting room was full in no time.
Mom and Jason were in the room with me - I was in a lot of pain still - but trying so hard to be tuff. Dave (my brother) is in the Army and stationed in Kwait - he called mom and dad to find out what was going on. We all hated that he could not be with us. Jason was rubbing my back - he said he felt like he was brusing me - and mom was fanning me - I was sooooo hot.
Around 8pm there was still no baby and Dr. Boehling checked me and said that I was at 9cm but still had cervix - he had me push about 6 times and nothing happend. That is when he gave me the option to either wait a few hours and see if I could dialate anymore or go ahead and have a C-section. I begged for the C-section. He said that it would take a little while to get the OR team together - he asked me to just hang tight!
Dave called mom to find out what was going on - she told him about the C-section decision - my pain was so intense that she was not able to leave the room to give the update to the family and friends in the waiting room - so then Dave calls dad and dad says "your mom has not come out in quite sometime to give us the update so I dont know what to tell you about your sister" - Dave says "oh, I just talked to mom and they are going to do a C-section" - everyone thought it was kinda funny to be getting the update about what was going on in the next room from Dave all the way in Kuwait.
It took about 1 1/2 hours to get the OR team ready for me. My body was so exhausted I was just shaking. My contractions were hitting the top line on the monitor - I kept apoligizing for being so loud - the nurse (Michele) told me I was doing fine. Finally the OR team came to pick me up and take me in for surgery - it seemed like no time and Jaxon was out! Jason was standing at my head and I could see his face - he was so amazed at what he was watching - I think I even saw a little tear roll down his cheek. I heard the baby cry and then they took him over to wrap him in blankets - when they showed him to me all I could see was a head full of dark hair and the most beautiful little face. They took him away so fast - I asked to see him again. They flashed him back to me and then Jason took him to the nursery.
I had to wait in isolation for 1 hour - no baby, no husband, no parents - only me and the nurse Michele -that was such a long hour. Then they let me see the baby and the rest is history!! How amazing!!

2 comments:

  1. You are a pro now! Way to go. Sounds like a lot of hard work but all worth it now! Congratulations:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're an inspiration to all the Mommy's to be!!

    ReplyDelete